If you’re in the construction business, then you know that generating accurate quotes is essential to winning new jobs and keeping your business afloat. But quote creation can be a time-consuming and tedious process, often involving hours of research and number crunching. That’s why we’ve put together this list of the top 10 tips to create a great construction quote and impress your customers. With these tips, you’ll be able to streamline your quoting process and win more business.
1. Know your customer’s needs. Before you even start creating a quote, it’s important to understand what your customer is looking for. What are their specific needs and requirements? Once you have a good understanding of this, you can tailor your quote to their individual needs.
This means getting all the necessary information and including it in your quote. This could include the square footage of the job, the materials needed, the expected timeline, any special requirements, etc.
To expand on this, we will go into more detail on some of the things included in a construction quote to help us understand the gravity of this point. First, construction quotes should always include the full scope of work. This means that everything that will be done during the construction process should be detailed in the quote. This allows for there to be no confusion about what is included in the project and what is not. It also allows you to make sure that you are getting what you expect from the construction company.
Secondly, construction quotes should also include the cost of materials. This is important because it ensures that you are not being overcharged for the project. It also allows you to see if there are any hidden fees that you were not aware of.
Lastly, construction quotes should also include a timeline for the project. This is important because it gives you an idea of when the project will be completed. It also allows you to hold the construction company accountable if they do not meet the timeline that was agreed upon.
Other information you may need to include is the pricing for your services, as well as any discounts or promotions you may be offering. By providing all of this information up front, you’ll save your customer time and hassle, and they’ll be more likely to choose you over the competition.
2. The previous point is tied to this point which is to make sure you do your research. Once you know what your customer is looking for, it’s time to start doing some research. This includes gathering data on materials, labour costs, and other associated expenses. The more information you have, the more accurate your quote will be.
3. Use templates. There are many great construction quote templates available online that can save you a lot of time and effort in creating your quotes. Simply fill in the necessary information and print out or email the finished product to your customer.
4. Utilise construction software. If you want to take things a step further, there are various pieces of construction software available that can automate the quoting process for you. This can be a great time saver, especially if your quotes are complex or require a lot of data.
Construction softwares also typically include estimation tools that can help you quickly and easily create accurate quotes. Other benefits include the ability to track your customer’s project from start to finish, as well as invoicing and payments features.
Utilising a software helps you in various ways, one way is through the customizability of the templates. This means that you can include your company’s branding, logo, and other important information in the quote. This helps you to stand out from the competition and makes your quotes look more professional.
5. Get organised. The quoting process will go much smoother if you’re well organised from the start. This means having all of your data gathered and organised in one place, as well as a clear understanding of your customer’s needs. This ties into the previous point as a very easy way to be organised is to utilise a construction software, this is because they store all of your client’s data as well as construction project information in one place.
6. Make use of technology. There are various tools and technologies available that can help you in creating better quotes. For example, online material calculators can take some of the guesswork out of estimating material costs.
Another great tip is to create a video quote. This can be done by using a screen capture tool to record your construction software while you create the quote. You can then email the video to your customer or post it online for them to view at their convenience.
7. Take your time. Rushing through the quote creation process is a recipe for disaster. Make sure you allow yourself enough time to do things properly and double check your work.
To illustrate this point we can look at what could potentially go wrong if you rush things. If you make a mistake in your calculations, you could end up quoting your customer too high or too low, which could lead to them going with another company.
Other things that can go wrong include forgetting to include important information or sending the quote off before you’re 100% happy with it. By taking your time and doing things right, you’ll avoid these potential problems and increase your chances of getting the job.
8. Get multiple bids. If you’re unsure about a particular expense, get bids from multiple vendors to ensure you’re getting the best possible price. This is extremely beneficial as it allows you to have a better understanding of what the market rate is.
9. Be flexible. In some cases, you may need to be flexible with your pricing in order to win a job. If your quote is slightly higher than your competition, but you’re confident in your abilities, then consider offering a discount.
10. Follow up. After you’ve submitted your quote, make sure to follow up with the customer to see if they have any questions or concerns. This shows that you’re attentive and interested in winning their business.
Customers appreciate when you take the time to follow up with them, and it could be the difference between getting the job and losing out to another company.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating great construction quotes that will impress your customers and increase your chances of winning new business. So get started today and see how easy it can be to create better quotes that get results.
WunderBuild is a construction management software that aims to provide all of the necessary functionalities required and more to bring out the best outcomes for a project.
It is currently offering a free trial, visit here to try WunderBuild for free